- Yield: 2
Authentic Italian Meatloaf
- sliced button mushrooms - 1 pound
- finely chopped onion - 2 cups
- Parmesan cheese - 1 cup, grated
- Italian breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- minced fresh garlic - 1 tablespoon
- large eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- refrigerated basil pesto - 1 (7-oz.) container
- tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
- table salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- freshly ground black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- tomato sauce - 2 (8-oz.) cans
- lean ground turkey - 2 (20-oz.) packages
- Preheat oven to 400°. Process mushrooms in a food processor until finely ground. Stir together onion, next 5 ingredients, and mushrooms in a large bowl. Combine tomato paste, salt, pepper, and 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce; stir into mushroom mixture.
- Add turkey to mushroom mixture, and combine, using hands, until well blended. Line 2 (9- x 5-inch) loaf pans with heavy-duty aluminum foil; coat lightly with cooking spray. Divide turkey mixture between prepared pans. Place pans on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Spread remaining 8-oz. can tomato sauce over meatloaves. Bake 30 more minutes or until a thermometer inserted in center of meatloaf registers 165°.
- Let meatloaves stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve 1 loaf. Cool second loaf completely; cover and chill for later use.
Some of the best gastronomy in the world has come out of Italy, and their meatloaf is no exception! Authentic Italian Meatloaf.. Round out the meal with Brussels sprouts and your favorite rice pilaf.Add to Favourites